Chestertown Environmental Committee meeting August 18, 2016
Blue text added from the mtg. Unfortunately my recorder was accidentally not engaged so please add your comments and send back to me and I will forward along to Jon.
Thank you, R
- How to recruit new members: send emails to attendees, survey likes and dislikes (Shane)
- New workshop – Shore Homesteading (add the word Series): see Shane’s draft flier, to be posted in on-line papers, WC, PLib, Town Hall, Visitor Ctr., etc
o 2nd Tuesdays monthly: from Sept thru Dec 2016
o Topics: preserving garden output, storm water runoff, food waste, organic & non GMO foods, and other topics: sponsored drawings at end of some events
o Partner with Kingstowne, Unity, UMD Extension Service, and Ctown Natural Food Store
o Other ideas for continuation of series in 2017: Hometown Habitat (DTallamy), Backyard or Hometown Habitat certification, global warming and effects in KentCo/Eastern Shore, Chester River topics, ESLC Global Warming paper, and water conservation
- Preserving garden output: canning, vacuum seal, dehydrating, and speaker Tara Holste SME
- Storm water runoff: Sustainable MD initiative (Kees de Mooy)
- Town council effort (Sam Shoge) ?
- Small solutions – benchmark other communities (Margo), did not discuss
- Beach/shore line clean-up (Margo), did not discuss
- Food waste: Ingrid Hansen, Figg’s Ordinary shop, Old Mill location, and gluten free
- EV charging station: fast charge specs to Bill I – Jon: $10-13k average cost per station, MD Energy Admin grant $ available in range of $5-6k (DavidD), possible locations – marina – parking lots – shopping centers, check on other EShore town initiatives, other: EV rally with CTown destination
- Dark sky: Idea for Delmarva Power on adding more LED lights (Ed)
- Idea of award or recognition for sustainable or eco-friendly businesses, points system like LEED cert?
- Kent County revising Comp Master Plan (Dave, Bob and Ed)
- CEC budget? $2,500 on-hand money, gift idea for speakers. $25 p/event at Sumner Hall (Margo)
- Bay Wise lawn certification: Shane certified inspector, have team members request certification; look into Hometown and Backyard Habitat certs (Shane)
- Rain barrel workshop: subsidized, revisit previous programs. Check proposed or upcoming schedules and partner with UM Ext Serv, CRA or other for workshops (Andy/Ruth), consider rain garden workshop
- Film series: next film is Just Eat It date is Sept 1st 6:30-8:30
- Other: Book list for website or fb page of good reads (short review and/or audio clip) and possible book signing event: The Third Plate, Barber. Others?