Chestertown Environmental Committee Meeting
October 1 , 2020
Present (online Zoom) : Darran Tilghman, Tim Trumbauer, Kevin Denice(representing WAC/ Seyed), Krista Lamoreaux, Zack Kelleher, Jenny Freebery, Andy Goddard, Carl Gallegos, Ford Schumann
Old Business– Seyed
UCapture –Committee agreed to move forward on Seyed presenting information on detailsl of Chestertown merchants participating in program.
August and September minutes were approved
Sub Committee Updates:
Energy & Transport: Jon
• Arcadia 100% renewable energy incentive program
• sign-up by 31OCT and get $75 off your electric bill
• must be a Delmarva customer
• National Electric Drive Week 9/26 – 10/4 – Annapolis
- Zoom event 10/1 8-9:30 PM
- EV Car Shows – downtown Annapolis
- 9/30 features Gaithersburg Bolt EV patrol car
- 10/2 features local bars with EV themed adult beverages
• fully electric GMC Hummer debuts 10/20
• MD DOT Zero Emission Vehicle
- 3 webinars – Western/Central/Eastern Shore & Southern Regions
- Eastern Shore call 7OCT 2PM
• no activity on local charging infrastructure installations
Ford reported that Infinity Recycling collecting increased quantities due to pandemic, particularly cardboard.
Water & Habitat:
• Oil Spill
Chesapeake Legal Alliance & pro bono lawyers going over history of spill and potential actions.
CEC to focus on “Citizen Action” to raise public awareness of issue.
Town should have legal standing in situation.
Action Items: Kevin to share information with WAC students. Tim to send link: Oil Spill article in Pilot https://kentpilot.org/utilities-managers-still-atodds-with-shorehealth-mde-oil-spill-cleanup
• Wilmer Park
Town considering boardwalk to address flooding of path and benches, as well as a permanent stage
Action Item: Tim to attend Oct. 5 Mayor & Council meeting to discuss alternative environmentally sustainable ideas
• Planning & Zoning
Discussion on potential to make minor but significant changes, e.g.: requiring EV charging stations and only native plants at new commercial buildings.
Action Item: Kevin to inquire about WAC Environmental Policy student interested in reviewing town planning & zoning policies and making recommendations.
• Food Hub All students receiving breakfast & lunch
• Blessing Box at Jane’s Church. Food donations available to anyone. Discussion on possibility of 2nd location in town.
• SNAP program, still waiting on some hardware/software
CEC partnering with Social Action Committee for Racial Justice (SACRJ) Krista suggested that in lieu of having a representative of ea. committee attend meetings, reps. meet separately and discuss initiatives/ideas worthy of collaboration
Action Item: Darran to pursue partnership
• Discussion on forming group representing various town committees to share information and influence/drive policy.
Action item: Andy to talk to Carla Massoni and Greater Chestertown Initiative