Chestertown Environmental Committee Meeting
Thursday, March 5, 2020 7:30 PM
Present: Tim Trumbauer, Krista Lamoreaux, Jenny Lee-Freebery, Ford Schumann, Carl Gallegos, Zack Kelleher, David Sobers, Kevin Denice (WAC Student Rep), Jack Goembel (WAC Student Rep), Tia Cameron
Introduction and Membership Update
– Chair welcomes Jenny Lee-Freebery as a new member and Tia Cameron (new to Chestertown) as a guest.
Review and Approve February 2020 Minutes
– Remove Dan Small from presence
Communications and Outreach Update
Green Drinks @ Retriever – Revived by Jenny Lee-Freebery
First event 2/10 – about 30 attended
Unity Nursery will present at next Green Drinks – 3/9
Investigating “Chestertown Environment” Facebook page – who owns?
Working Group reports and discussion
Review of Mayor and Town Council Presentation
Tim Trumbauer presented
– Follow-up items:
- Ford – need for recycling containers for events and residents
- Education on recycling in schools
- Tom Herz – CEC structure and membership
- Mayor Chris – ShoreRivers storm water management concern/Wilmer Park
- David Foster – community clean-up notification (let Town know)1. Administration
- M&TC presentation2. Energy & Transport
- Get update from Tim
- Question from the gallery re: public transportation
- Why is the rail-trail not available to Worton?
- Further discussion of scalable transit opportunities (WAC, Heron Point, etc.)3. Water & Habitat
- Dan Small – stepping down from CEC
- Riverwalk – Owen Bailey is ESLC contact – pursuing final funding for river walk
- Wilmer Park – convert to a living shoreline with public dock & kayak access?
- State of the Chester – April 24th @ 5:30 p.m. WAC Boathouse
- It will be a community-friendly event with food & drinks
- Stormwater Management Plan Update – comprehensive plan for Chestertown
- If you see places which need remediation, report to ShoreRivers so they may incorporate in their plan.
- Tim will brief the committee on the full plan at 7 p.m. before the April meeting4. Waste Management
- Recycling container grant submitted & awaiting notification
- Kent County will collect KCPS organics & deliver to facility; Betterton will do same. It will be delivered to Wayne Gilchrest at Turners Creek.
- Questions from Tia regarding – single-use productsEarth Day Update 3 confirmed sponsors: ShoreRivers, CES, LaMotteDesperately need volunteers! – WAC? Green Drinks?
- Community Trash Walk x 2 – 10 a.m.
- 15 confirmed vendors
- Contact Jon Hanley or Andy Goddard
Next meeting: April 2nd