Chestertown Environmental Committee
In Person and Zoom
January 12, 2023
In Attendance: Jenny Freebery, Andy Goddard, Darran Tilghman, Secethia Davis, Liz Peterson, Carole Trippe, Joe Maisano, Jim Bogden, Ford Schumann, Erin Heckles, Brad Hollomon, Mark Carper, Tom Dietz, and Anne Stevens
Meeting opened 7:45
Chair: Jenny Freebery
Vice Chair: Liz Peterson
Treasurer: Carole Trippe
Secretary: Joe Maisano
(Chair does not need to be spokesperson – can be separate committee member)
Action Item: Current officers meet with new officers prior to January
1. Jenny needs cell phone numbers for committee members
2. Should we upgrade to Zoom or use Google Meet?
Several members of the committee have a good grasp on the art of composting. Suggestions were made on how to further engage the community at large in composting. A full one third of all food is wasted by families and food waste makes up most of the waste in landfills.
A proposal was made to raffle off one or more of Infinity Recycling’s composting tanks at the upcoming Earth Day celebration.
An interest was expressed in involving the farming community in the community composting efforts.
ACTION ITEM #1: Food Security Group focus
A proposal was made to the Food Security group efforts to composting. The item passed unanimously.
Action Item #2: Sustainable Maryland Certification
Our committee is still certified but in a deferred state, but we are still considered in good graces. We need to complete a 90 minute training course.
We are aiming for an evening meeting on the last week of January/first week of February. Carole Trippe is arranging the training session.
Action Item #3: Improving Communication – Website? Social Media?
There were several ideas about how to use social media to increase the visibility of our mission and share ideas and aspirations with the community.
Carole Trippe and Andy Goddard will work on the website.
Action Item #4: Messages to the Town Council
We are aiming for the March town meeting and will decide what and to present and reviewed at our February meeting.
One idea that was discussed, potentially a best practice, was the formation of transition teams. This team would effort to move the community from dependence on fossil fuels to sustainable energy.
Neither the town, nor its committees, should ever engage in practices that are detrimental to the environment. Other town committees need to think environmentally.
Action Item #5: Connections to Parks & Recreation
Parks and Recreation is engaging a consultant, under contract, to create a recreation plan. They are working with Shore Rivers and DNR.
Andy Goddard detailed the plans for restroom facilities in the town center. Contact Andy for more information.
Action Item #6: Committee Vision Statement
A vision statement was developed in 2018-2019. It can be found on the Google shared Drive. Andy Goddard and Darran Tilghman will review prior to our February meeting.
Work Group Reports
Energy & Transportation Committee: Jon Hanley Report
- EV charging infrastructure
- no additional charging stations have been installed
- approval has been granted for two Level 2 stations at Karma Cleanse and two at Sado
- discussions ongoing at Kent Crossing Apartments for several Level 2 stations
- both DCFC Level 3 stations at Walgreens are out of service
- EVI has ordered parts and with a repair estimate by the end of January
- two Level 2 stations in the Cannon Street parking lot were vandalized and are inoperative
- Main Street grant money has been allocated to install CCTV and security lighting there
- both Level 2 stations at Vault Storage are out of service
- EVI has submitted a proposal to the owner to replace both units
- I will be presenting at an EV charging symposium on 13FEB in Grasonville sponsored by the MD Dept of Ag.
- The purpose of the symposium is to connect colleagues across the State to understand the National Electrical Vehicle Infrastructure priorities and opportunities, discover financing options and opportunities, identify creative solutions to possible roadblocks, and showcase working models and best practices
Preparation for Next meeting with Town Council – Main topic for February meeting.