November 4, 2021
In Attendance: Darran Tilghman, Andy Goddard, Carl Gallegos, Jim Bogden, Secethia Davis, Erin Heckles, Jenny Freebery, Zack Kelleher, David Sobers, Annie Richards, MQ Riding, Nina Fleegle, Kevin Denice, Joe Massano
Welcome Guests: Darran welcomed Nina Fleegle, Main Street Chestertown Director and Joe Massano, representative from LaMotte Company.
Nina Fleegle gave overview of current Main Street Chestertown projects.
- Grant for directional signage
- Recycle/trash bins through Keep America Beautiful funding
- Façade improvement grant
- Building façade lighting grant
- Coordinating with ESLC & Town of Chestertown with Streetscape
- Downtown comprehensive master plan
Food Security: Still only 1 or 2 SNAP customers
Communications & Outreach:
CEC market booth v popular. Receiving much that currently not able to recycle in town or county: #5 plastics, bottlecaps and batteries. Need more people to volunteer. Committee decided to discontinue at end of November. Discussion on whether possible to offer anther location for drop off.
Water & Habitat:
- GIS Map for trees needs funding.
Annie to investigate
- Mosquito Spraying – is state program, with county & town participating
potential for grant to fund bat habitat, purple martin housing?
- Tree Steward planting November 14, Bailey Park. 12 native trees. $53,000 grant received for Tree Steward projects in Chester River watershed
- Need better recycling options at marina for boaters.
- WAC currently has no permanent Director of Sustainability. Needs support from town residents & alums- letters to admin
- Discussion on potential for zero waste festivals in town- as in Downrigging
- Plastic Bags. Currently no MD towns or counties that ban anything heavier than 1 mil
Energy & Transport: No Report
Joe Massano unanimously voted in as new CEC committee member and serve on Energy & Transport committee.
Garden Club expressed concern on vehicles allowed to drive in Fountain Park for Cars on High. David S to ask Garden Club for specifics on what CEC can do to support.
Action Item: Schedule grant brainstorming session in partnership with other organizations