Kayak Rack Rental
Limited kayak rack space is available to Chestertown residents at Wilmer Park and the Chestertown Marina. If you are interested in a rack space please take a moment to complete the application.CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD PDF OF APPLICATION CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION
All vessels must:
- Fit within the designated rack space;
- May not impair the use of the rack by other permit holders, and;
- May not negatively impact natural resources, and;
- May not exceed the structural capacity of the rack.
- a) Rack assignments are granted on a first-come first-serve basis;
- b) Applicants will be sent a notification by email and an invoice for payment;
- c) Payment is due within 30 days of notification. Failure to remit payment will result in the forfeiture of the space for that calendar year;
- a) When all rack spaces are filled, a wait list will be established.
- b) Any wait list is for that calendar year only.
Current rack assignments can be renewed annually as long as the resident maintains his/her eligibility. Current rack assignments must be renewed annually at the Town of Chestertown with payment of the annual rack rental fee by December 31. If the resident has not notified the Town of Chestertown of the intent to renew or if the annual rack rental fee is not received by December 31, then the spot is forfeited.
- The Town of Chestertown shall not be responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged vessels or related equipment stored on Town racks. All items stored are at the risk and responsibility of the owner.
- The Town shall not be responsible for any injuries resulting from the raising or lowering of vessels onto Town racks.
- The Town of Chestertown is not responsible for any personal injury or death caused by the use of vessels owned by others and stored on the Wilmer Park or the Marina.
- Vessel owners/operators will be held responsible for any damage caused by them or their vessels.
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed in the storage area without adult supervision.
- No for sale or for rent signs are allowed anywhere on the vessel or the storage rack.
- Storage rack spaces are not transferrable to others.
- If your vessel is parked illegally or is located outside your assigned space it will be removed at your expense.
- Residents must continue to store a vessel in order to maintain a current rack. In order to allow as many residents as possible with small vessels to enjoy the racks, rented racks should not be kept empty.
- Kayaks and canoes must be turned upside down so retained water will not overload the racks. All vessels should be secured to prevent theft or overturning or displacement in storms. Locks, added by owner and at the owner’s expense are required.
- Stored vessels must not be in an advanced state of disrepair at the site. Upon notice from the Town of Chestertown that the vessel is considered to be in a non-working condition or in an advanced state of disrepair, the resident will have 30 days from the date of the notice to correct the condition or the vessel may be removed at resident’s risk and expense and without further notice.
- All vessels must be secured to the rack to avoid damage to the rack or other vessels. Unsecured vessels may be removed, at the direction of Town Manager or a designated representative and moved to storage. The cost of removing and securing the vessel shall be billed to the owner. Failure to pay or multiple violations will result in forfeiture of the rack space.
- Current rack assignments can be renewed yearly so long as the resident maintains his/her eligibility. Current rack assignments must be renewed annually at the Town of Chestertown with payment of the annual rack rental fee received by December 31. If the resident has not notified the Town of Chestertown of the intent to renew or if the annual rack rental fee is not received by December 31, then the spot is forfeited.
- In the event of forfeiture, the resident surrenders his/her assigned rack. The rack is then made available to the next resident on the waitlist. If a resident forfeits his/her rack but later wishes to be assigned a space, that resident must contact the Town of Chestertown and may only be assigned a rack if there is a vacancy. If there is no vacancy, then the resident’s name will be placed at the bottom of the wait list according to date of request.
- Spots in the rack cannot be subleased.
- The Town Manager or his designee, may, at any time inspect any vessel stored on these racks and remove any vessel that has not paid for storage.
- Any vessel that is not in compliance with these regulations will be tagged with a violation notice, stating the date, nature of violation and contact information.
- Efforts will be made to notify the vessel owners.
- If no action is taken within 48 hours of the initial notice, the vessel will be removed and stored.
- There will be a $15 per diem storage charge assessed which must be paid before the vessel can be returned to its owner.
- Any vessel that is left on rack outside of the permitted dates without the permission of the Town, will be tagged with a violation notice, stating the date, nature of violation and contact information.
- Efforts will be made to notify the vessel owners.
- If no action is taken after 48 hours of notice, the vessel will be removed and stored.
- Any vessel removed will be held in storage by the Town of Chestertown until the owner has been notified, vessel is claimed, and storage fees paid or for one (1) year at which time the vessel is considered an abandoned vessel and may be disposed of in the best interest of the Town.