CHESTERTOWN MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEETING
DECEMBER 18, 2023
Mayor Foster called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. In attendance were Councilmembers Tim O’Brien, Tom Herz, Jose Medrano, and Meghan Efland. Also in attendance were Larry DiRe (Town Manager), Lynda Thomas (Town Clerk) and guests.
Mayor Foster asked if there were any additions or corrections to the Mayor and Council minutes of December 4, 2023. Mr. O’Brien asked for a change in the minutes. Councilman Herz moved to approve the minutes of the Mayor and Council meeting of December 4, 2023. The motion was seconded by Councilwoman Efland and carried unanimously.
Mayor Foster reported that the cash on hand was $2,943,763.96. Councilwoman Efland made a motion to pay the bills. The motion was seconded by Councilman O’Brien and passed unanimously.
- Appointment of Melissa McGlynn to the Internet Taskforce
Councilman O’Brien made a motion to approve the consent calendar. The motion was seconded by Councilwoman Efland and passed unanimously.
Chestertown Police Department (CPD) Report
Lieutenant Linz presented the November CPD monthly report.
Mr. Foster asked when another speed camera would be installed on the opposite side of Morgnec Road. Lt. Linz noted that it should be installed within the next couple of weeks.
Mr. Foster noted that the State Highway Administration (SHA) postponed their December meeting. He stated he would like to ask SHA what would be involved in getting additional red speed camera signs.
Mr. Herz stated that he had received speeding complaints for the 500 block of Cannon Street and asked that a speed sign be placed in that area.
Mr. Herz asked for a central location where the Mayor and Council could obtain the speed sign’s data reports. He noted that being able to access the data during meetings or an encounter when the topics comes up would be helpful.
Lt. Linz reviewed the status of the new officers.
Town Manager’s Report
Mr. DiRe gave an update on the Boards/Commissions/Committees, the audio upgrades, new hire openings, permit fees increase and staff salary increase.
Mayor Foster reported:
- Attended the awards ceremony at the Chestertown Fire House.
- Attended a meeting with the Policy Office of the Comptroller to discuss the tax differential. The Mayor of Cambridge and Town Manager of Hagerstown attended the meeting with him.
- Attended a Maryland Municipal League (MML) meeting, in Annapolis, with Nina Fleegle, Main Street Director. The topic was the role of Municipalities and Economic Development.
Mr. DiRe gave an update on the Transfer of Heron Point Internal Roads and noted that the Town and Heron Point attorneys were working to prepare a deed that would return the roads back to Intergrace.
Mr. DiRe gave an update on the parking in the area of High and Queen Streets.
Drew McMullen reviewed the 2024 Sultana Downrigging Weekend and asked for a motion. He noted that he would hire someone to clean and stock the restrooms during the event.
Mr. Foster noted the issue of parking and the possibility of using a shuttle. Mr. McMullen stated he would research the parking issue.
Councilman Herz made a motion to approve the Sultana Downrigging Weekend permit. The motion was seconded by Councilwoman Efland and passed unanimously.
Mr. DiRe gave an update on the need for a new website and reviewed Request for Proposal (RFP).
Mr. Herz reviewed the need for agenda and meeting guidelines. He noted that he and staff would be working to produce something in the coming months.
Ms. Efland reported:
- Washington College announced they would be offering three (3) scholarships for Kent and Queen Anne’s Counties students wanting to be a teacher.
- Attended the Makerspace meeting at Washington College where they shared findings from October’s white boarding session and would gather feedback on stakeholder surveys and interviews that the college will administer in the spring.
- There will be a trip in January to benchmark Makerspace and Entrepreneurship Centers in the area.
- Kent County High School will present their annual Planetarium Christmas Show.
Mr. Medrano reported:
- Attended the Makerspace meeting at Washington College.
- He had been asked about the homeless shelter.
- On the lighting situation in Coventry Farms. The HOA is in need of finding a resource/contractor to do the repairs.
- The Hoyas will be hosting a documentary film, “Rethinking Poverty”.
- Nominated Inez Gwen Santori to the Parks & Recreation Committee.
Mr. Herz reported:
- Wished everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Mr. O’Brien reported:
- He plans to have a list of New Year Resolution items to discuss.
- He wished everyone a Merry Christmas and to stay safe and comfortable for the New Year.
Jim Bogden reported that the Recreation Commission voted to appoint Dwight Zilinkas as the Vice Chair.
Mr. Bogden made a public apology to Kate Stork, Consultant, for dropping the master plan. Due to health reasons, he has not been able to focus on his portion of the plan. He announced that they will revitalize the project and move forward in the spring.
Mr. Bogden asked about the gazebo in Wilmer Park and asked about the process of asking the Lions Club to make repairs. He also noted several sculptures were in need of a bench to be placed across from them.
Mr. Zilinkas asked for more ways to encourage dog owners to clean up after their dogs over by the canoe area of the park.
There being no further business, Councilwoman Efland moved to adjourn the meeting at 7:28 pm. The motion was seconded by Councilman O’Brien and carried unanimously.
Submitted by: Approved by:
Lynda Thomas, Town Clerk David Foster, Mayor
DECEMBER 18, 2023
The Mayor and Council meeting will resume in person meetings at Town Hall. A livestream feed is available at www.townofchestertown.com.
If you would like to make a presentation to the Mayor and Council, contact the Town Clerk at email@example.com, no later than noon the Wednesday prior to a scheduled meeting. Regularly scheduled meetings are held the first and third Mondays of the month, unless Monday is a holiday, then the meeting will be held the following Tuesday, unless otherwise announced.
MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEETING
- Call meeting to order
- Minutes of December 4, 2023, Mayor and Council meetings
- Operating funds on hand
- Payment of bills
- Consent Calendar
- Appoint Melissa McGlynn to the Internet Taskforce
- Lieutenant Linz – Police Report
- Town Manager’s Report
- Boards, Commissions, Committees
- Audio Upgrades
- New Hire Openings
- Mayor’s Report
- Old Business
- New Business
- Ward Reports
- Requests from the public to be on the agenda:
- Questions or comments