Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ARTS COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, Apr 11, 2023
4:00PM at Town Hall and Zoom
- Kate Dowd
- Elizabeth Healy
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Carla Massoni
- Bob Ortiz
- Hester Sachse (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance and Chestertown A&E District)
- Marianne Sade
- Ben Tilghman (Chair)
- Pam White (Vice Chair)
- PAC minutes of Mar 14, 2023 were approved.
- Update on the Woicke Sculptures:
- Hester is reaching out to Joe Karlic on suggested changes.
- Hester is also working on temporary signage for the installed Sculptures.
- Butterfly Sculpture:
- Sculpture is planned to be installed at Garnet Elementary on April 14.
- Elizabeth will coordinate with Garnet Elementary a visit from the artist (who will be in town April 21. Carla is coordinating a lunch event and Carla and Ben will reach out to community leaders and media that may also want to attend.
- Group review of the Sculpture Spreadsheet to update potential locations for new sculptures.
- The group reviewed and updated the spreadsheet.
- The group agreed the following sculptures should be included in the next phase of installations for 2023: Butterfly (already installed), Dance, Puzzled, Around Man, Head, Strength of Community, & Inchworm. Ball and Red Arches and Taking the Hill may also be installed if the Artist (Adam Walls) comes to Chestertown this summer to make necessary repairs. If not, there may be time to make repairs and Install Five Wolves instead.
- The PAC agreed that Bob Ortiz would be the Project Manager to have Dance installed first followed by Puzzled. Bob will make the necessary contacts and keep the PAC informed of his progress and/or any issues.
- It was agreed that after Dance and Puzzled are installed, Around Man and Head would be next.
- It was agreed to present the proposed 2023 installations to the Town Council and follow-up with each council member to engage the stakeholders to determine suitability and exact location for each installation.
- Archive Subcommittee Report from Marianne:
- Marianne has contacted the Archive Consultant (Lindsay Sheldon) and begun discussion of using her services.
- Marianne met with the Historical Society and discussed sharing information on Chestertown Public Sculptures and how to make inputs to the Smithsonian Database of Public Art.
- The subcommittee continues to work the issue of storage of PAC archives in the Town Hall on the third floor.
- Action Items were reviewed.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday May 9, 4:00PM.