Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ART COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, April 12, 2022
4:00PM Town Hall
- Elizabeth Healy
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Carla Massoni
- Hester Sachse (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance and Chestertown A&E District)
- Marianne Sade
- Ben Tilghman (Chair)
- Pam White (Vice Chair)
- Tom Herz (Guest Participant – Town Councilmember Ward 2)
- Approval of 3-08-22 Minutes – minutes were approved without changes.
- There was a brief discussion on town committee processes and procedures.
- It was agreed each committee member on a monthly basis would provide Pam White the hours they have worked on PAC business. This information will be useful for future grant applications.
- Tom Herz stated that the council was interested in providing more process and checklists to help committees better perform their roles. He was also supportive that the PAC provide updates to the town council on a regular basis.
- Ben and Carla provided an update on fundraising efforts to support the Sculptures Project.
- Ben and Carla met with anonymous donors that have supported town initiatives.
- The donors proposed a matching grant to support the Sculptures Project.
- PAC Website Status
- In March the website subcommittee met and developed requirements for the Public Arts Committee Website.
- The website will be separate from the town website but will be linked to the town website.
- The website will show images of the sculptures and detailed information about each sculpture.
- The website will also include general information about the Public Arts Committee, maps showing Chestertown public art locations, information on how to support Public Art in Chestertown, and links to other websites on visiting Chestertown.
- The website will be Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant.
- PAC Logo
- The members suggested that a PAC Logo would be useful to display on the website and for publicity/branding purposes.
- The following Logo ideas were mentioned: a subtle “W” to recognize the Woicke donation, connection to Chestertown, modern style, inviting to all members of the community, connection to a Sculpture (or Sculptures) within the collection, simple and recognizable, possible silhouette, and possible inclusion of Hebe image.
- Woicke Sculpture Project Update
- For 2023 installations it was decided to focus on Bronzes and Steel Sculptures and leave pieces that have installation issues that need to be worked through for later.
- The following Bronze and Steel Sculptures should be considered for 2023 installation:
- Around Man (Bronze)
- The Big Courtship (Bronze)
- Face Fragment III (Bronze)
- Fully Empowered (Bronze)
- The Great Yes (Bronze)
- Owl (1) (Bronze)
- Super Duty Yellow (Painted steel)
- Vessel (Steel)
- Also mentioned were:
- Puzzled (Painted Steel)
- Owl and Strength of Community (Bronzes) for covered locations
- Action Items
- Pam White will collect suggestions on 2023 sculpture locations from members for the next meeting.
- Ben will reach out to Ward 3 Councilmember Jose Medrano concerning Public Art in Ward 3 and new PAC members from Ward 3.
- Dave and Marianne will contact Francoise Sullivan and provide her the detailed website requirements for feedback.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday May 10, 4:00PM.