Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ART COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, Apr 13, 2021
4:00PM via Zoom
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Kay MacIntosh (ex-officio: Manager of the Chestertown Arts & Entertainment District) +
- John Schratwieser (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance) +
- Ben Tilghman (Chair)
- Gordon Wallace
- Pam White (Vice Chair)
- Approval of 3-9-21 Minutes – minutes were approved without changes.
- Public Art Accession and Deaccession Document
- Ben has received no additional comments and would like to present the document to the Town Council, Monday April 19.
- The committee agreed with Ben to send the draft document to the Town Council.
- Ben reviewed the status of the Private Property Owner Agreement.
- Kay and Dave have forwarded the first draft to the legal consultant who is also working on the Donor Agreement and are awaiting comments.
- The committee made some additional recommendations regarding how to handle a change of ownership of the Private Property. Kay will forward these comments to the consultant.
- Sculpture Project Update
- The Sumner Hall board approved the installation of “The Dance” Sculpture on their property.
- Kent County Library has approved the installation of “Reading Dog” on their property. The artist (Jay Lagemann) may be available in the next few months to survey an installation site.
- “Butterfly” was previously approved by Kent County for installation at Garnet Elementary School. Status is unchanged.
- Previous discussions with the private property owner of the pocket park at 105 South Cross Street remain unchanged as the location for the “Head” sculpture.
- Ben is working with the Washington College Center for Environment & Society for a location to place “Texas Spiral” at their new waterfront facility.
- The committee agreed to look at additional location options for “Taking the Hill”.
- The committee agreed that Wilmer Park is a good location for “5 Wolves” with more work needed to determine a specific location.
- The committee agreed that Gateway Park is a good location for “The Ball and Red Arches” with more work needed to determine exact placement within the park close to the entrance.
- Action Items
- Ben – submit draft Accession and Deaccession Document to the Town Council.
- Group – look for additional location options for “Taking the Hill”.
- Dave – Produce images of potential locations for “Taking the Hill”, “The Ball and Red Arches” and “5 Wolves”.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday May 11, 4:00PM.