Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ART COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, Dec 13, 2022
4:00PM via Zoom
- Kate Dowd
- Elizabeth Healy
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Carla Massoni
- Hester Sachse (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance and Chestertown A&E District)
- Marianne Sade
- Ben Tilghman (Chair)
- Pam White (Vice Chair)
- Joe Karlik (Guest Participant – Locust Grove Studios)
- Bob Ortiz (Guest Participant)
- PAC minutes of Nov 8, 2022 were reviewed and approved.
- Sculpture Signage:
- Hester Reported on Progress: Joe Karlik has developed a standard design for a metal engraved sign and mount that can be used for every Sculpture.
- Joe further described the signs as being in two sizes (high and low from the ground) that could be engraved and cut from a single sheet of stainless steel. There will be a QR code on the sign that will link back to the Chestertown Public Arts website for more information. The signs are ADA compliant.
- New Committee Members:
- Bob Ortiz has agreed to join the committee and will be nominated for approval at the next town council meeting.
- The committee has one additional opening for a new member.
- Update on the Woicke Sculptures: Installation of the remaining 6 Phase I Sculptures (Vessel, Face Fragment III, Sentinel, The Great Yes, The Big Courtship, and Figure)
- Blue Stone/Concrete pads have been installed at the planned Sculpture Locations.
- Metal base are in the process of being fabricated and attached to the Sculptures.
- Miles Barnard is coordinating and the remaining 6 Sculptures are planned to be installed Dec 22.
- The committee agreed to announce the installations with a press release.
- A&E Art Walk Dec 17 – The PAC will participate in the Art Walk with a display at Casa Carmen.
- Fund Raising – The town has received major donations to support Public Art from Matt & Joanne Tobriner, and the SFW Foundation.
- Reading Dog – Elizabeth reported the positive public feedback on the Reading Dog Sculpture installed at the Public Library.
- Action Items (Due to time constraints action items were not discussed, below are the action items from November’s meeting):
- Marianne needs input from committee members on what should be archived and any other thoughts on archiving.
- Marianne also agreed to provide information to the committee on “Best Archiving Practices” for organizations like the PAC.
- Dave will arrange for the agreed changes to the website.
- All committee members will send their number of monthly volunteer hours to Pam.
- Ben will reach out to the potential new committee member regarding membership in the PAC.
- Ben will meet with the Town Manager Bill Ingersoll regarding: the project management position, RFP for remaining installations, and Installation agreements.
- The Signage committee will work on temporary and permanent signage.
- Hester will arrange a location for the PAC to publicize installation progress during the upcoming Art Walk Dec 17.
- Ben will provide updates to the committee on the remaining Phase I installations.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday Jan 10, 4:00PM.