Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ART COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022
4:00PM Town Hall and via Zoom
- Kate Dowd
- Elizabeth Healy
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Carla Massoni
- Hester Sachse (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance and Chestertown A&E District)
- Marianne Sade
- Ben Tilghman (Chair)
- Meghan Cooper (Guest Participant – Washington College Summer Intern) *
- Approval of 5-10-22 Minutes – minutes were approved without changes.
- New Members:
- Ben officially welcomed Kate Dowd as a newly appointed member of the PAC.
- Ben encouraged the committee to be on the lookout for new members as one more position on the PAC remains open.
- Update on the Woicke Sculptures:
- Ben presented the proposed locations for the Phase 1 sculptures to the Town Council. The Town Council voted to approve the locations and the plan to proceed with the installation. NOTE: At the meeting there was some confusion as to whether there was a sculpture planned to be installed in Ward 4. There is a sculpture planned for Ward 4 and this was subsequently cleared up in an email exchange with Meghan Efland (Ward 4 Council member).
- Materials Conservation Co. LLC has been withdrawn from consideration for the sculpture installation project due to issues concerning scope of work. Ben will update the Town Manager and Mayor on the change. Ben will also explore development of formal Requests for Proposal(s) for the town to engage other contractors. Ben and other committee members will begin reaching out to other service providers to identify capabilities necessary to support installation of the sculptures.
- The committee agreed to focus on Phase 1 installation of 7 sculptures that are in a such state that they should be able to be easily moved and installed. The 7 Scultpures are: Vessel, Face Fragment III, Owl (Steel), The Great Yes, Reading Dog, The Big Courtship, and Figure.
- PAC Website – The Draft PAC Website was available for review by committee members. Members were encouraged to document their recommendations/comments and email to Dave, Marianne, Elizabeth and Kate.
- New YMCA Building Sculpture – Ben, Dave, and Marianne met with Robbie Gill (CEO and President of the YMCA of the Chesapeake) concerning placement of a sculpture at the new Chestertown YMCA facility. Consensus was reached on a location near the front entrance and “Puzzled” as a good candidate sculpture.
- Broad Reach Maintenance – Elizabeth will contact Tom Herr of Anthony’s Flower’s and Landscaping, who does landscaping work for the town, regarding maintenance needed for the Broad Reach Sculpture in Wilmer Park.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday Jul 12, 4:00PM.