Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ARTS COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, Mar 14, 2023
4:00PM at Town Hall and Zoom
- Kate Dowd
- Elizabeth Healy
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Carla Massoni
- Bob Ortiz
- Hester Sachse (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance and Chestertown A&E District)
- Marianne Sade
- Pam White (Vice Chair)
- Guest Participant – John Schratwieser (Executive Director Kent Cultural Alliance)
- PAC minutes of Feb 14, 2023 were approved.
- Input to the Draft Chestertown Strategic Agenda: The PAC submitted comments/suggested changes in coordination with the A&E District Committee (who also submitted their comments/suggestions separately).
- Update on the Woicke Sculptures:
- Hester has coordinated with Joe Karlik on suggested changes. Joe is working on an updated design based on the suggested changes.
- Hester is also working on temporary signage for the newly installed Sculptures and Reading Dog.
- Bob Ortiz reported on the progress of the Butterfly Sculpture to be installed at Garnet Elementary School prior to May 11 for a planned event:
- Bob and Rob Glebe inspected the sculpture at the Woicke residence.
- Subsequently the sculpture was transported to Rob’s studio for repair and touch-up painting.
- As the artist may be planning to visit in April it was agreed to attempt installation prior to her visit.
- The working group will meet early next week to agree on location and installation.
- It was agreed that, If possible, a PAC meeting with the artist when she is in town would be desirable.
- Group review of the Sculpture Spreadsheet to update potential locations for new sculptures.
- The group reviewed and updated the spreadsheet.
- It was agreed to present the proposed 2023 installations to the Town Council and follow-up with each council member to engage the stakeholders to determine suitability and exact location for each installation.
- Archive Subcommittee Report from Marianne:
- Marianne proposed we hire an Archive consultant to review and advise on the plans her working group (Marianne, and Kate) have put together.
- The group agreed that Marianne should proceed with hiring the paid consultant to review the current PAC Archive plans.
- Action Items were reviewed.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday Apr 11, 4:00PM.