Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ART COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, Nov 8, 2022
4:00PM Town Hall
- Kate Dowd
- Elizabeth Healy
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Carla Massoni
- Hester Sachse (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance and Chestertown A&E District)
- Marianne Sade
- Ben Tilghman (Chair)
- PAC minutes of 10-11-22 were reviewed and approved.
- New Committee Members – With agreement from the committee, Ben will reach out to a potential committee member about joining the committee.
- Update on the Woicke Sculptures:
- Reading Dog Installation
- Reading Dog was installed at Kent County Public Library (KCPL) by Artist Jay Lagemann on Friday Oct 21.
- An Unveiling Event at KCPL was held for the community Saturday Oct 22.
- The sculpture installation was very well received by the Artist and members of the Community.
- Installation of the remaining 6 Phase I Sculptures (Vessel, Face Fragment III, Sentinel, The Great Yes, The Big Courtship, and Figure)
- Miles Barnard is coordinating five major activities: installation site design (complete), moving the sculptures (to be completed by Chris Hansard – Level Art Services) , welding to attach anchor brackets, procuring and prepping blue stone bases (blue stone has been ordered), and prepping each installation site (to be completed by Ben Herr – Anthony’s Flowers and Landscape).
- Now that 7 sculptures will be installed this year, the Signage committee (Carla, Elizabeth, Pam, and Hester) will work on temporary signage and a design for permanent signage.
- Reading Dog Installation
- Ben reported on changes going forward to improve project management for installation of the remaining 17 Sculptures from the Woicke donation.
- After discussion with Bill Ingersoll, it was agreed to move forward with a part time Project Management position that will not be part of the committee but will be working in support of the committee. Dave, as a part time volunteer, will work with the Project Manager along with the Sculpture Installation Subcommittee made up of interested Committee members.
- Ben will continue as the point person on the Phase I sculpture installation and transition to the new model at the start of the new year.
- Duties/reporting of the Project Manager and interaction with the committee were discussed.
- Request for Proposal (RFP) for next phase Sculpture Installations – Ben has completed draft documents and submitted to the Town for review and approval.
- A&E Art Walk Dec 17 – It was agreed to publicize the current status of the Phase I installations at a location on the Art Walk (possibly Casa Carmen).
- PAC Website
- It was agreed to use more descriptive language for links on the PAC Website (e.g., “More About Jay Lagemann” instead of https://www.jaylagemann.com/)
- It was agreed to add an automated link to sign-up for future emails about PAC events/activities.
- Archive of PAC Data/Information – Marianne, as a result of her experience as a librarian, brought up the need to centrally archive data and information gathered during the installation of new sculptures. It was agreed that this needed to be done.
- Action Items:
- Marianne needs input from committee members on what should be archived and any other thoughts on archiving.
- Marianne also agreed to provide information to the committee on “Best Archiving Practices” for organizations like the PAC.
- Dave will arrange for the agreed changes to the website.
- All committee members will send their number of monthly volunteer hours to Pam.
- Ben will reach out to the potential new committee member regarding membership in the PAC.
- Ben will meet with the Town Manager Bill Ingersoll regarding: the project management position, RFP for remaining installations, and Installation agreements.
- The Signage committee will work on temporary and permanent signage.
- Hester will arrange a location for the PAC to publicize installation progress during the upcoming Art Walk Dec 17.
- Ben will provide updates to the committee on the remaining Phase I installations.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday Dec 13, 4:00PM.