Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ART COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, November 9, 2021
4:00PM at Town Hall (and Zoom)
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Carla Massoni
- Sam Moore
- Hester Sachse (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance and Chestertown A&E District)
- Ben Tilghman (Chair)
- Pam White (Vice Chair)
- Approval of 9-14-21 Minutes – minutes were approved without changes. Note: There was not a quorum for the October 12 meeting and no official business was conducted and minutes were not recorded.
- Ben introduced Elizabeth Healy who has been nominated to be a member of the committee. Elizabeth was in attendance as an observer since her nomination requires approval of the town council at one of their upcoming meetings.
- Woicke Sculpture Project Update
- Ben – The “Acceptance of Gift of Artwork” agreement between the Town and the Woickes has been signed for the first 8 of 24 Sculptures.
- The first 8 Sculptures are planned to be installed beginning Spring of 2022. The group developed the following draft schedule. :
- April – Texas Spiral, Butterfly, Five Wolves
- May – The Ball and Red Arches, Taking the Hill, Reading Dog
- June – The Dance, Head
- Ben will add more detail to the above schedule and explore whether there are existing events scheduled that could be combined with the installation unveilings.
- Dave will provide a draft format of a sculpture installation planning document for review.
- Ben asked the group to take a look at the remaining 16 Sculptures and think about which sculptures should be in the next group to be installed.
- There was a brief discussion about beginning fund raising activities in the spring.
- There are two remaining vacancies on the PAC. Ben will put together a draft document for committee review describing the skills and interests that would be helpful for anyone desiring to become a member and provide a document to the Town Council for their consideration. The Council will make a public announcement and solicit volunteers for membership.
- Ben will be participating in a Town workshop on how to improve operation of Town Committees.
- Hester asked the group about participation in the upcoming ArtWalk planned for Saturday Dec 11. The group agreed that this would be good opportunity for community outreach. Dave will put together some draft posters for review that could be displayed concerning the Woicke Sculpture Project.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday December 14, 4:00PM at Town Hall (and Zoom).