Town of Chestertown
PUBLIC ART COMMITTEE (PAC)
Tuesday, Oct 11, 2022
4:00PM via Zoom
- Kate Dowd
- Dave Hegland (Secretary)
- Carla Massoni
- Hester Sachse (ex-officio: Kent Cultural Alliance and Chestertown A&E District)
- Marianne Sade
- Ben Tilghman (Chair)
- Pam White (Vice Chair)
- PAC minutes of 9-13-22 were reviewed and approved.
- Update on the Woicke Sculptures:
- Level Art Services (Chris Hansard) has contacted the Woickes and started coordinating movement of the next 6 Sculptures to Chestertown.
- Reading Dog Installation
- Artist Jay Lagemann will be arriving Friday Oct 21 to install Reading Dog at the Kent County Public Library for an Unveiling Event Saturday Oct 22. PAC members will support Jay as needed during the installation.
- Carla and will be working with Francoise Sullivan on publicity and is planning to send out invitations to Arts and Town/County leaders to attend the Unveiling Event.
- It was agreed to have a home page banner on the PAC Website announcing the Unveiling Event.
- The group discussed details of the Unveiling Event at the Library.
- Ben will call Miss Utility to check the installation location for underground utilities.
- The group discussed options for signs to label each sculpture and a temporary solution for Reading Dog. Pam, Hester, and Elizabeth will continue working this issue.
- Marianne discussed the proper title of Owl (Steel) with the artist (Don Rambadt) and determined the proper name is Sentinel. This will be changed on the website and other documentation (going forward).
- PAC Website
- Dave proposed we remove the option to download a PDF map until we have more sculptures installed and could develop a more complete brochure. The group agreed.
- The group agreed to have the website go live with a link to it from the town website. The link will also be announced in the publicity for the Reading Dog event.
- Marianne suggested we use Descriptive Hyperlinks so that the links to other websites (such as those of individual artists) are more descriptive and accessible. For example rather than “https://walterbaileysculpture.com” use “More Information on Walter Bailey” which takes you to the same website address when you click but is more descriptive. The group agreed.
- Ben discussed his progress on looking for new members for the PAC to fill the 2 vacancies.
- Ben discussed the need for development of plans to better share the project management workload.
- Dave mentioned that in response to comments concerning downtown businesses getting more information on the planned sculpture installations, he was going to talk to the Downtown Chestertown Association about PAC plans at their monthly meeting on Oct 12.
- Meeting Adjourned – Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday Nov 8, 4:00PM.