Public Arts Committee, Town Agendas & Minutes|

Town of Chestertown
Public Arts Committee (PAC) Minutes
December 12, 2023, 4:00 p.m., Town Hall

Participants:

Ben Tilghman (Chair)

Dave Hegland (Vice Chair)

Marianne Sade (Secretary)

Carla Massoni

Elizabeth Healy

Hester Sachse, (ex-officio member, Kent Cultural Alliance, Chestertown A&E District)

  1. Minutes from the November 14, 2023 were approved.
  2. Funds Report:  Ben shared that there were $2500 in donations last month; there have been $79,482 in donations so far and funds spent were $54,385 not counting present month. There is about $25,000 on hand.
    1. Fund Raising: Ben will be working on the Maryland State Arts Council $30,000 grant application that will be done with the Town Manager and is due January 24, 2024.
    2. There are still $75,000 in matching funds pledged available. He suggested aiming for $100,000 to raise. Ben will be meeting with potential donors in 2024 to raise funds to cover installs and reserve for future maintenance and other projects.
    3. Other possible donors could be local Schumann Foundation and the Hedgelawn Foundation.
    4. The group talked about other agencies and partners to raise other funds. Carla suggested a proposal with Parks Recreation Commission re-envisioning Margo Bailey Park to give donors a better sense of what it could look like.
    5. ACTION ITEM: BEN/Marianne to update donors to the PAC website.
  3. Woicke Collection Installation Updates
    1. “Head:”  Addressed concerns of a few Garden Club members about placement as inappropriate to the feeling of Fountain Park and that no other should go into the park. Discussion ensued and the committee decided to move forward with installation plans as due diligence has been followed. In light of the concerns it was decided to keep the approved location but to shift the orientation of the work towards High Street. Rob has finished its base and it has been coated. He met with a sub-committee group on November 29 to discuss this.
    2. “Strength of Community” ACTION ITEM: BEN will invite Ruth Menefee at installation; Carla will plan a little gathering for neighbors with some refreshments.
    3. “Tupelo Cloud” Park:”  Its placement was discussed in Bailey Park with possible partnership with ShoreRivers community as it plans developing the area that could include art.
    4. ACTION ITEM: Dave will update information sheets to include “Head’s” new position and “Tupelo Cloud” location in Bailey Park.
  4. NEW BUSINESS
    1. Carla suggested that the group create a Maintenance Plan (“task list”) describing and anticipating what kinds of care the sculpture areas need.
    2. ACTION ITEM: Ben will talk with the Town Manager about maintaining the landscapes around the sculptures (e.g. including the town crew, installing a sprinkler system at Broad Reach, etc.).
    3. Memorial Monument Project update: Ben reported that Washington College will apply for a planning grant and the Starr Center will be primary, and it will focus on African American history with community engagement. They will partner with local and possibly cross-county efforts. The PAC will be secondary partners among others.
    4. Signage: Elizabeth led the group to finalize what will go on signs. Group decided: that QRCs to the website can address special needs visitors; instead of nationality, the country where the sculptor’s studio is located will be used. Decision was  in favor to lose the periods in country names (e.g. USA, UK); same font size, but title and artist in bold, and on the smaller size of the labels. “Gift of Hanna and Peter Woicke” will be added to each.
    5. ACTION ITEM: Elizabeth will draft a corrected list for the group to proofread the mockups.
    6. ACTION ITEM: Marianne to change locations on the PAC website when she gets corrected information.
    7. ACTION ITEM: Elizabeth and Carla will visit Joe about the signs.
    8. Future public events: possibly in late January/February a “Welcome your new neighbor” little celebration, and/or a spring sculpture walk, with docent talks.
    9. ACTION ITEM: Elizabeth will organize an event for “The Dance” with Sumner Hall.
    10. Dave reported that he is installing tamper resistant bolts on all the sculptures that have been installed already since originals do not seem to be holding.
  5. There were no visitors.
  6. Action items were reviewed.

The meeting adjourned at 5:38 p.m.

Next meeting is scheduled for January 9, 2024, 4:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Marianne Laino Sade, Secretary

January 4, 2024

Close Search Window