Chestertown Recreation Commission
Monday, October 11, 2021
Virtual meeting via Zoom
Attending: Jim Bogden, Nat Woodrow, and Frank Rhodes.
The meeting was called to order at 6:10 pm with 3 of 5 current members constituting a quorum.
1. Approval of minutes: The minutes of the August 30 meeting were approved (that meeting had been postponed from August 9. The Commission did not meet in September).
2. Status update on Wilmer Park and the LLPI special County grant: Jim Bogden reported that the signing of the Wilmer Park contract is on hold, awaiting grant approval by the State. The playground should be completed about 13 weeks after the contract is signed, depending on the winter weather. The Town is also awaiting the LLPI funds.
3. Replacement playset at Carpenter Park: The discussion was postponed until Harold Somerville could participate.
4. Next steps for Ajax Park: Jim reported on the Council’s decision for a one-hoop halfcourt, moved towards with salt shed with a path from the parking lot to the bike path and a toddler playground. In response to a question from a member of the public, it was clarified that the Ajax playground would not be disturbed until the Wilmer Park playground is completed.
5. Publicizing Chestertown’s parks: The Commission discussed whether the public knows about the recreational opportunities available at the Middle School. Jim presented the draft of a brochure with a map of Chestertown parks to general approval.
6. Discussion about Bailey Park: Jim reported on the new trees going into the park. Frank suggested planting bald cypress trees. ShoreRivers’s plan for stream restoration was discussed.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:36 upon a motion by Nat, seconded by Frank. The next regular meeting date is December 13, 2021.