Title: Town Attorney for Chestertown, a part-time position appointed by the Mayor & Council.
Reports to: The Town Manager
I. Primary Function/General Purpose
Responsible for providing legal services to the Mayor and Council of Chestertown and the Chestertown Utilities Commission. Some of the duties of this position include: real estate transactions, Town code enforcement issues, Freedom of Information Act/Public Information Act compliance, complaints under the Maryland Open Meetings Act, employee and law enforcement issues.
II. Employment qualifications:
- Juris Doctor from accredited law school.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Working knowledge of Maryland local government laws and regulations.
- Eligibility to practice law in the State of Maryland.
- Research Skills: The Town Attorney will give advice on a wide range of legal topics, and so must be skilled in legal research.
- Communication skills: The Town Attorney must be able to clearly present and explain complex information verbally and in writing.
- Problem-solving skills: The Town Attorney will need to help resolve issues that will impact the Town.
- Ability to Collaborate: The Town Attorney must have the capacity to build positive working relationships, as the attorney must interact with and provide services to the Mayor & Council, the Town Manager, and other departments, agencies and boards.
III. Essential job functions:
- Maintains confidentiality in accordance with the attorney-client privilege.
- Assumes responsibility for specific assignments.
- Advises Town leaders on matters related to ethics, ordinances, and contracts.
- Prepares or reviews memoranda, ordinances, resolutions, intergovernmental agreements, contracts, easements, dedications of right-of-way, leases, deeds, and other legal documents as required.
- Attends Council meetings on occasion as requested.
- Represents the Town in litigation and/or assists outside counsel (e.g., Local Government Insurance Trust attorneys).
- Participates in the Maryland Municipal Attorneys Association (MMAA) and the International Municipal Lawyers Association (IMLA).
- The Town attorney will bill monthly for services rendered and be paid an hourly rate to be agreed upon by both parties prior to appointment.